In this imposing example of Romanesque-Lombard architecture (11th century), we find the "Christ Blessed among the Saints Lorenzo and Martin", a mural in which Galileo Chini celebrated his all-embracing, eclectic talent. The motifs and the incisive lines that define the figures are typical early 20th century Italian style. The church also includes a splendid Madonna attributed to Giotto. It is the last trace of the painter in the Mugello territory.
For opening time: San Lorenzo Parish Church: tel. +39 055 8459295
Next to the church we find the San Francesco Tabernacle. It was built entirely by the Chini family in 1926 to commemorate the centenary of the death of the saint.
The niche, which is situated in a part of the wall of the monastery of Santa Caterina and holds a ceramic statue of Saint Francis, is completely covered in tiles. It is decorated with paintings of a lamb and a wolf, and it also contains some impressive tiles representing the coats of arms of the most important Mugello families. The entire piece is enclosed under a tile-covered roof from which a wrought iron lamp hangs.