The cutlery making tradition in Scarperia is at least five centuries old, and in the beginning these craftsmen were actually armourers of a very vast region.
In 1538 the “Statute of cutlery makers” was written up and the artisans became part of a cutler’s union. Up until the 18 th century, numerous cutlers’ shops existed in the hamlet of Scarperia.
There was a vast production of numerous types of blades: for war purposes (daggers, swords and spears); and for work in the home and the fields (forks and punches, pruning knives, shears and pocket-knives).
In 1906 there were still 46 “knife and scissor” shops with about 300 craftsmen.
Today in Scarperia there are only four cutlers’ shops that put out a great quantity of different types of knives: from hunting knives to butcher knives, from kitchen knives to complete sets of cutlery with horn handles, as well as a variety of scissors and pruning tools of all shapes and sizes.
One antique shop on via Solferino, # 19, has recreated the atmosphere in which cutlers once worked, and in the Vicari Palace we can visit the Ferri Taglienti Museum